Google

Friday, April 01, 2005

 

Classical Korean Poems - 시조 모음

서시 (PRELUDE)

- 윤 동주 (Dong-ju Yun)


Let me have no shame
Under the heaven
Til I die.

Even winds among the foliage
Pained my heart.

With a heart that sings of the stars,
I'll love all dying things.

And I must fare the path
That's been allotted to me.

Tonight also
The winds sweep over the stars.



-- From "Best Loved Poems of Korea"
at UCB East Asian Library (PL 984 E3 B4 1984 EAST)



==> Yun, Dong-ju (1917-1945) wrote many poems which have become favorite
poems. He published his poems in The Sky, the Wind, the Stars and Poems, 1950.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


THE PROLOGUE



For a life to be led until death
without a patch of shame;
under the scrutiny of heaven
I felt painfully hurt
by a single breath of wind
that stirs the leaves of grass.
I must love all things mortal
with a spirit to sing the stars;
I must follow the path
destined to me.
Again tonight
wind rustles against the stars.


-- From "Korean Poetry Today : Selected and
translated with an introduction by Jaihiun J. Kim"
at UCB East Asian Library (PL 959.5 K68 1987 EAST)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?